The Attleboro YMCA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. To promote safety and comfort for all, we have developed the following Policies & Procedures. We expect all Members and guest to act in accordance with the policies listed here:
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Act according to the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility at all times.
- Physical or verbal abuse, harassment, intimidation, sexual innuendo or display, public displays of affection, and offensive behavior of any kind are unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
- Refrain from angry or vulgar language, including swearing, name calling or shouting.
- Respect the Y’s property and the property of others. Please pick up after yourself and leave each area in the same or better condition than when you arrived. The Y will not tolerate theft or destructive behavior.
- The Y strictly prohibits the carrying or concealing of weapons or objects that may be used as weapons.
- The YMCA is a smoke-free, vape-free, drug-free, and alcohol-free facility. This also includes the Y grounds and parking areas. The possession or sale of any drugs or drug paraphernalia will lead to prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
- Our YMCA is welcoming to all. We expect our staff and our members to respect the differences among our diverse member population. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.
- Members and guests must adhere to any rules or policies posted in specific facility areas.
- YMCA staff have the right to determine if any conduct or language is inconsistent with the YMCA’s mission and to respond accordingly, up to and including the termination of a member’s or guest’s facility access.
YOUTH ACCESS & AGE REQUIREMENTS
In our efforts to improve the community’s health and well-being, the Attleboro Y encourages members and guests of all ages to utilize our facilities. Whether you’re 3 or 93, we applaud your commitment to a healthy lifestyle! For the safety of our younger members, we ask all of our members to adhere to the Attleboro Y’s Youth Access Policy.
Ages 8 and Younger
- General Facility: Children must be participating in a YMCA program or directly supervised by an adult (18 or older) at all times.
- Wellness Center: Children ages 8 and younger are not permitted.
- Aquatic Areas: Children ages 8 and younger must be accompanied in the pool area or in the water by an adult. Any child under 9 who does not pass the swim test must be accompanied by an adult in the water and stay within arm’s reach in the shallow end.
- General Facility: Children ages 9-11 must be participating in a YMCA program or must have a supervising adult (18 or older) inside the facility at all times.
- Wellness Center: Children ages 9-11 who would like to use the cardio or strength equipment must first complete 3 Youth Wellness Center Orientations. Once the orientations are complete, they must continue to workout alongside a supervising adult (18 or older).
- Aquatic Areas: If a child ages 9-11 can pass the swim test, they may swim anywhere in the pool without having an adult in the water. A child ages 9-11 may perform a Shallow Water Competency test in order to be in the shallow end without an adult. If unable to complete the competency test, the child must have an adult in the water or wear a PFD and stay in the shallow end.
- General Facility: Youth members of 12-14 years may enjoy unsupervised access to the facility until 9:00 p.m. All members and guests ages 12-14 must sign the Y’s Youth & Teen Code of Conduct.
- Wellness Center: Youth ages 12 and older are encouraged to take a Youth Wellness Center Orientation and may workout without supervision.
- Aquatic Areas: Youth ages 12-14 are not required to take a swim test. However, if the lifeguard is unsu
re of a swimmer’s ability, the lifeguard may ask a swimmer to perform the skills of a swim test and may instruct the swimmer to remain in the shallow end if necessary.
- General Facility: Youth members of 15-17 years must sign the Y’s Youth & Teen Code of Conduct. They may then enjoy unsupervised access to the facility.
- Group Exercise Classes: Members 15 and older are welcome to participate in all available Group Exercise classes, as long as they follow proper class etiquette. (For younger members, the Y offers specific fitness classes designed for their age groups. If you have any questions, please contact our Health & Wellness Director.)
CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
At the Attleboro YMCA, we believe it is our duty and obligation to protect every child who walks through our doors or participates in one of our programs. To ensure your child’s safety, we have developed this Child Protection Policy. Child protection is a community initiative that requires teamwork and cooperation from all sides. We ask that you review these policies and follow the YMCA’s guidelines. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Robin McDonald at (508) 409-0763.
MEMBER & GUEST SCREENINGS
The YMCA conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.