Make an impact by being a part of the Attleboro Y’s 11th annual Spin-a-Thon on Saturday, March 10th!
This annual event has grown through the years to a gym filled with 100 bikes and more than 400 Y members, friends, family, and community members riding together to raise funds for the Y’s Annual Campaign to strengthen our community! It doesn’t matter if you’re an avid cyclist or someone who’s never seen a bike. This day is about having fun, working up a sweat (a lot or a little – you decide), and making a difference.
Saturday, March 10, 2018
11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Each Rider rides for one hour.)
Attleboro YMCA Downtown Branch
> How to register
> How to donate
> How to volunteer
> Impact of the Spin-a-Thon
> Fundraising Tips for Riders
> Individual & Team Challenges
> Spin-a-Thon Day: Important Event Information
> Spin-a-Thon Facebook Page
How to register:
JOIN A TEAM OR START YOUR OWN
As a Rider, you’ll join a team of 12 friends, family, and co-workers. For every hour, three of your teammates will ride together to keep your team’s bikes moving for four hours. Each team will work together to fundraise a total of $1,800—the equivalent of sending 10 kids to summer camp!
> REGISTER TO RIDE.
REGISTER FOR THE KIDS SPIN
Kids Spin is a fantastic way to empower kids that they can make an impact on the lives of others. Participants can bring their own bikes to ride around our Spin-a-Thon Speedway or ride the Y’s stationary bikes.
> LEARN MORE AND REGISTER FOR THE KIDS SPIN.
How to donate:
It’s easy to make a pledge in support of a team or a rider! This event is all about the incredible impact we can have when a whole community comes together for one cause. Every pledge – no matter how great or small – makes a difference. Through our online donation page, you can donate to a specific Rider, a team, or to the Spin-a-Thon as a whole.
> DONATE TODAY!
How to volunteer:
To put on an event of this size, we rely on the help of so many volunteers, who generously give of their time. Volunteers help with registration, rider refreshments, cheering on riders, and helping to transport bikes to and from the Spin-a-Thon. For more information, please feel free to contact Meghan Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up to volunteer via the link below.
> SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER.
Impact of the Spin-a-Thon
By supporting the Y with your time, energy, and pledges, you help ensure a brighter future for the communities of Attleboro and Norton. Every gift to the Attleboro Y helps young people achieve their potential, empowers people of all ages to lead healthier lives, and strengthens the bonds of community.
Funds raised through the Y’s Annual Campaign have had a lasting impact on so many in the following ways over the last year alone:
- More than 30 at-risk youth connected with positive adult role models and developed healthy, decision-making skills through two new group mentoring and empowerment programs.
- More than 200 low-income youth received scholarships to summer camp.
- 50 cancer survivors regained new strength of body and spirit through the free Livestrong at the YMCA program.
- 25 Multiple Sclerosis sufferers discovered new ways to cope with the effects of their disease through the Y’s free MS Strong program.
- Wellness programs and subsidized group memberships for youth and adults with developmental challenges.
- More than 2,000 people are able to be part of the Attleboro Y through subsidized memberships each year.
- The Y is able to expand its community outreach programs to youth throughout Attleboro and Norton.
Tips for Riders: Fundraising & Pledge Collection
While there is no fundraising requirement for Riders, each team has a fundraising goal of $1,800 – the equivalent of sending 10 kids to a week of camp. While $1, 800 sounds lofty, it quickly comes together when a team of 12 are reaching out to their friends and family. Every donation – no matter how great or how small – makes a difference!
How can Riders collect pledges? There are two primary ways to collect pledges for the Spin-a-Thon:
- Through your FirstGiving page. When you register to ride for the Spin-a-Thon through FirstGiving, the site prompts you to set up your supporter page. We encourage you to customize this page with your photo and your own story about why you’re supporting the Y. Then share that page via email and social media, so that your friends and family can make a pledge in support of your Y directly to your page. No need for any pledge forms or documentation!
- The old-fashioned way: Pledge Forms. If you or one of your supporters would prefer to make a donation via cash or check, no problem! Simply fill out the Spin-a-Thon Pledge Form. You can turn in your pledge form and donations at the Y’s Welcome Center at any time – or you can wait and turn everything in on the day of the Spin-a-Thon.
The best advice we’ve heard about fundraising is to share your own Y story and to share it often. Let people know how the Y has impacted you personally – and tell them about which Y programs or services you hope to support. Your Firstgiving page makes it easy for you to share your story. If you need help setting up your page, please contact Meghan Hamilton at email@example.com.
Team & Individual Challenges
We’re all about fun and some healthy competition at the Y! To get everyone excited to the big event, we’re offering a series of team and individual challenges leading up to the Spin-a-Thon and throughout the big day. (Plus, we’ll have some extra surprise challenges on the day of the event!) There will be prizes!
SPINtimidation Challenge, sponsored by Matrix Fitness
For teams who want to see how far they can go! Matrix Fitness has extended a special challenge to see which team can put in the most miles on Spin-a-Thon Day! A special team prize awaits for the SPINtimidation Champs. If your team is up to the challenge, have your captain contact Meghan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising Champs (most dollars raised as a team)
Newbie Award (team with the most first-time Spin-a-Thon participants)
Best Team Costumes
Best Team Theme (This can go with the “Spin for All” theme – or a theme of your own!)
Oldest Average Age / Youngest Average Age
Online Superstar (First person with 10 online donations)
Y Story Award (Rider with the best story on their fundraising page)
Best Individual Costume
Most Enthusiastic Rider
Family Prize (family with the highest number of family members participating)